Governor Northam Announces Administration Appointments
RICHMOND—Governor Ralph Northam announced additional appointments to his Administration today.
Secretariat of Education
Tori Feyrer, Assistant Secretary of Education
Tori Feyrer has been appointed Assistant Secretary of Education. Tori has previously served as a Special Assistant and Policy Advisor to the Secretary of Education. Before joining the Northam Administration, she served as the Engagement and Opioid Prevention Coordinator at the Virginia Department of Social Services. Tori graduated from the University of Richmond with a degree in Political Science, Philosophy, Economics, and Law. She worked in the non-profit sector for three years before serving as a Governor’s Fellow in the McAuliffe Administration.
Secretariat of Finance
Joe Flores, Secretary of Finance
Joe Flores has been appointed Secretary of Finance. He has served as Deputy Secretary of Finance since January 2018, where he has provided budgetary guidance on a range of fiscal policy issues and counsel on expenditures from federal stimulus bills to address the impacts of the pandemic in Virginia. He helped lead Governor Northam’s successful Medicaid expansion efforts, which included strategic planning, policy design, fiscal analysis, stakeholder engagement, legislative negotiations, and communications. Joe previously served as Deputy Secretary of Health and Human Resources during the McAuliffe Administration.
For two decades, Joe has advised legislators in Texas, Minnesota, and Virginia on fiscal policy issues in health and human resources, including a dozen years with Virginia’s Senate Finance Committee. As a non-partisan legislative fiscal analyst, he served as a resource to lawmakers, agency officials, advocacy groups, the media, and the public on issues related to health care, social services, public health, behavioral health, developmental disabilities, children and adult services. Joe graduated Bachelors of Arts degree in History from Texas A&M University and Master of Science degree in Public Management and Policy from Carnegie-Mellon University.
Carter Hutchinson, Deputy Secretary of Finance
Carter Hutchinson has been appointed Deputy Secretary of Finance. He has served as Deputy Policy Director since January 2018, where he has worked closely with Cabinet members to develop and implement Governor Northam’s legislative agenda. He has also served on Governor Northam’s budget team since 2019, working with the Finance Secretariat and the Department of Planning and Budget to develop and execute the Commonwealth’s budget. Prior to the Northam Administration, Carter served as an advisor to then-candidate and Lieutenant Governor Northam and has held roles on the campaigns of Governor Terry McAuliffe and U.S. Senator Tim Kaine and on Hillary Clinton’s 2016 presidential campaign. Carter is a graduate of Hampden-Sydney College and a native of Staunton.
Secretariat of the Commonwealth
9-1-1 Services Board
- Terry Ellis* of Sutherland, Vice President of Government Affairs, Comcast
- Sheriff Kevin W. Hall* of Covington, Sheriff, Alleghany County and City of Covington Sheriff’s Office
- Tamara Perez of Winchester, Public Safety Communications Director, Frederick County
- Eddie L. Reyes of Stafford, Director of 9-1-1, Prince William County Government
- Kelvin L. Wright* of Chesapeake, Chief of Police, City of Chesapeake
Advisory Board on Behavior Analysis
- Christina Bock Giuliano, MS, BCBA, LBA* of Salem, Executive Director, Blue Ridge Autism and Achievement Center
Advisory Board on Music Therapy
- Gary L. Verhagen, LCAT, MT-BC* of Annandale, Music Therapist and Teacher, Fairfax County Public Schools
Board of Accountancy
- William R. Brown, CPA, MBA* of New Kent, W.R. Brown & Co.
Board of Directors of the Assistive Technology Loan Fund Authority
- Christopher O. Grandle of Stuarts Draft, Retired Engineer
- Michael VanDyke of Lebanon, Peer Counselor, Clinch Independent Living Services
Board of Trustees of the Roanoke Higher Education Authority
- Dr. Elda Stanco Downey* of Roanoke, Founder and CEO, Roanoke Spanish
- Katherin A. Elam of Salem, President, Junior Achievement of Southwest Virginia
Board of Trustees of the Southern Virginia Higher Education Center
- Paul Nichols* of Clarksville, Division Superintendent, Mecklenburg County Public Schools
Christopher Newport University Board of Visitors
- Sean D. Miller of Henrico, Chief Operating Officer, Boys & Girls Clubs of Metro Richmond
- Lee Vreeland, EdD of Newport News, CEO, An Achievable Dream
- Judy F. Wason* of Williamsburg, former Vice President for Advancement, Christopher Newport University
George Mason University Board of Visitors
- Horace L. Blackman* of Falls Church, Senior Vice President of Consulting Services, CGI Federal
- Anjan Chimaladinne* of Chantilly, COO, Anshultech
- Dolly Oberoi of Vienna, CEO, C2 Technologies, Inc.
- Nancy Gibson Prowitt* of Arlington, President and Chief Operating Officer, Alcalde & Fay
Longwood University Board of Visitors
- Elia Fabiola Carter of Richmond, Director, E-Commerce Operations, Consumer Markets, McKesson Medical-Surgical, Inc.
- Nadine Marsh-Carter* of Richmond, Chief Executive Officer, Children’s Home Society of Virginia
- Ricshawn Adkins Roane* of Great Falls, Vice President and Chief of Staff, Jack Kent Cooke Foundation
- Shawn L. Smith of Richmond, Program Director, Virginia Association of Area Agencies on Aging
Norfolk State University Board of Visitors
- Heidi W. Abbott of Richmond, Counsel, Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP
- The Honorable James W. Dyke* of Reston, Senior Advisor, McGuire Woods Consulting
- Delbert Parks of Herndon, Vice President, Micron Technology Virginia
- Harold (Harry) Watkins, PhD* of Richmond, Co-Owner, Bateau
- Joan G. Wilmer* of Hanover, Maryland and Newport News, Vice President of Human Resources, ViacomCBS
Old Dominion University Board of Visitors
- Robert Corn* of Springfield, President, Landmark Strategies, Inc.
- Jerri Fuller Dickseski* of Hampton, Executive Vice President of Communications, Huntington Ingalls Industries
- The Honorable Ross A. Mugler* Commissioner of Revenue, City of Hampton
- Maurice D. Slaughter* of Chesapeake, Chairman and CEO, MS Family Enterprises, Inc.
Radford University Board of Visitors
- Charlene Curtis of Kernersville, North Carolina, Retired Supervisor of Women’s Basketball Officials for the Atlantic Coast Conference, Big South Conference, Colonial Athletic Association, and Southern Conference
- Lisa Whittington Pompa of Virginia Beach, Zone Lead, Gene Therapy, Spark Therapeutics, Inc.
- Marquett Smith of Ashburn, Retired, Verizon Wireless
State Board for Community Colleges
- Edward C. Dalrymple, Jr.* of Mineral, President, Dalrymple Holding Corp, Cedar Mountain Stone Corp., and Chemung Contracting Corp.
- Maurice A. Jones of Norfolk, CEO, OneTen and former Virginia Secretary of Commerce and Trade
- Peggy A. Layne* of Chesapeake, Community Volunteer and Retired, Dominion Energy
- Terri N. Thompson* of Chesapeake, Financial Consultant
State Council of Higher Education for Virginia
- Mirza Baig of Great Falls, Managing Partner, Aldrich Capital Partners
- John R. Broderick of Norfolk, President Emeritus, Old Dominion University
- Victoria Harker* of McLean, Chief Financial Officer and Executive Vice President, TEGNA, Inc.
- Jennie O’Holleran of Richmond, Partner, Broad Street Group
- Dr. Alvin J. Schexnider of Chesapeake, Senior Fellow and Senior Consultant, Association of Governing Boards of Universities and Colleges
- Dr. Jeffery O. Smith of Hampton, Superintendent, Hampton City Schools
Task Force on Services for Survivors of Sexual Assault
- Lindsey Caley* of Roanoke, Physician, Carilion Clinic
- Brooke Thomas, MD, MS, FAAEM, FACEP* of Smithfield, Alteon Health
University of Mary Washington Board of Visitors
- Allida Black, PhD* of Arlington, Managing Director, The Allenswood Group, LLC
- Devon Cushman* of Richmond, Founder and Owner, Dutch Door, LLC
- Patricia McGinnis* of Washington, D.C., Public Policy Consultant and former CEO, Council for Excellence in Government
- Robert Strassheim of Keswick, Vice President, Dickinson + Associates, Inc.
University of Virginia and Affiliated Schools Board of Visitors
- Robert M. Blue* of Richmond, Chair, President, and Chief Executive Officer, Dominion Energy
- Carlos M. Brown of Henrico, Senior Vice President, General Counsel, and Chief Compliance Officer, Dominion Energy
- Robert D. Hardie* of Charlottesville, Co-Chairman and CEO, H7 Holdings, LLC, and Level One Partners, LLC
- The Honorable LF Payne of Charlottesville, President, Three Ridges Group LLC
Virginia Commonwealth University Board of Visitors
- Dr. Andrew Florance of Inlet Beach, Florida, Founder and CEO, CoStar Group
- Todd P. Haymore* of Henrico, Managing Director, Global Economic Development, Commerce, and Government Relations, Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP
- Edward L. McCoy* of Richmond, President and CEO, Eaheart Industrial Service, Inc.
- The Honorable Tyrone Nelson* of Henrico, Member, Henrico County Board of Supervisors and Pastor, Sixth Mount Zion Baptist Church
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University Board of Visitors
- Anna Healy James* of Virginia Beach, Senior Vice President of Government and Community Relations, Sentara Healthcare
- Letitia A. Long* of Alexandria, Chairman of the Board, Intelligence and National Security Alliance
Virginia State University Board of Visitors
- Jon Moore of Midlothian, President and CEO, Philip Morris USA
- The Honorable Edward Owens of South Boston, Mayor, Town of South Boston and Owner and Operator, Edward Owens Agency
Virginia Military Institute Board of Visitors
- Hugh M. Fain, III* of Richmond, Shareholder, Spotts Fain PC
- J. Conrad Garcia of Richmond, Shareholder, Williams Mullen
- Gussie Lord of Lakewood, Colorado, Managing Attorney, Tribal Partnerships Program, Earthjustice
- Thomas R. Watjen* of Key Largo, Florida
- Damon Williams of Roanoke, Regional CRA Officer, First Citizens Bank
William & Mary Board of Visitors
- Barbara L. Johnson* of Alexandria, Founder, BLJohnsonLaw PLLC and Counsel, Potter & Murdock, LLC
- John P. Rathbone of Norfolk, Retired Executive Vice President, Norfolk Southern Corporation
- J. E. Lincoln Saunders* of Richmond, Acting Chief Administrative Officer, City of Richmond
- Ardine Williams of Washington, D.C.
# # #